From the CLASSICISTS mailing list:
Conference: New Approaches to Greek and Roman Myth
The Department of Classical Studies at The Open University warmly invites you to a one-day conference on “New Approaches to Greek and Roman Myth”. The event will be held at The Open University Regional Centre in London (Camden) on Saturday 21st January, 10am-4.30pm. Details of speakers and paper titles appear below. There will be £7 charge to cover the cost of lunch and refreshments. Booking forms and further details are available from Jessica Hughes (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Colleagues may also be interested in a new myth-related resource that the OU has recently produced – a collection of video animations and audio discussions on Greek Heroes and their representation in popular culture from ancient times to the modern day.
all best wishes,
- Anastasia Bakogianni (OU) – Electra Ancient and Modern: The Reception of the Myth in Greek Tragedy and in the Modern World
- Joanna Paul (OU) – The Half-Blood Hero: Percy Jackson and Mythmaking in the 21st Century
- Annie Ravenshill-Johnson – The Metamorphoses of Hephaistos/Vulcan
- Frances Eley (OU) – Staging Sacred Drama: Reception in Process
- Sam Newington (OU) – Greece and the Near East: Creation Myths
- Tori McKee (OU) – Reconstructing the Hippolytus myth: Euripidean Echoes in Modern Adaptations of Racine’s Phedre
- Susan Deacy (Roehampton) – How to Write a Classical Mythology Textbook
A map showing the location of The Open University London Regional Centre can be found here: http://www3.open.ac.uk/contact/maps.aspx?contactid=1
----------------------------------------------------------- Jessica Hughes Lecturer in Classical Studies The Open University Walton Hall Milton Keynes MK7 6AA Website www.classicsconfidential.co.uk